Saturday, July 4, 2009

St. Louis Zoo

We took our annual trip to the zoo hoping that Jacob would have a great time since he knows a lot of the animals and their sounds. He did okay. It was hard for him to see the smaller animals, but he did seem to recognize several of them. He didn't exhibit the excitement I thought he would, but it was also very tiring and hot for him. Bailey was so tired of being in the car seat from the ride down that she was only content being held. Since I didn't want her exposed to the sun, I put her in the sling, which was hot for both of us! It was interesting having two little ones there, but they did pretty well despite it the heat and long day.

Due to the heat, I was worried about keeping the kids hydrated. I nursed Bailey several time at the zoo. I can't believe that I did that out in public, but you do what you gotta do!!! We gave Jacob lots to drink throughout the day. When we got home in late afternoon, Dan pulled Jacob out of his car seat and discovered that his shorts were soaked. Not just wet, dripping wet! The car seat was drenched too. Initially we thought he dumped a drink on himself, but then quickly realized that the poor guy hadn't been changed in five hours. Talk about feeling guilty!!! He never even cried about it in the car, but it does explain why he didn't sleep very long on the ride back up.

I didn't take many pictures, but here are a few good ones that I got....

Looking at the elephant

Bears

Pointing to something exciting!

Pose with the gorilla

Giraffes (note Bailey is cut out of the shot, but she's in the sling)

Leopard


Sleepy children on the way home (you can see Bailey in mirror)

0 comments: