Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dinner Trials

One thing I vowed when we decided to start a family is to eat as a family. Easier said than done. I grew up doing this and it was a nice way to connect with everyone after a day of school and work and I want our family do continue this tradition. Now that Jacob is eating like a big boy, I am desparately trying to work on bettering our dinner routine. Most of you know that Dan and I have always eaten late dinners, anywhere between 7:30 and 8:30. Here's the problem.... Jacob is ready for dinner by 6:00, I don't get home with him until 5:30, Dan works out until 7:00 most nights. What I've been doing is feeding him leftovers or something else quick (yet healthy) when we get home at night and then Dan and I wait until Jacob is asleep before we enjoy our own quiet meal together uninterrupted. This has to change and I'm not sure how!! I'm contemplating changing my hours at work so I get home earlier and am able to make a nice meal for everyone by 6:00 (and really also spend more time with Jacob and soon-to-be #2). Just have to figure out how to fit in workout routines that typically occur right after work.

I've been trying to also cook more meals from scratch. I'm not much of a cook or really desire to be, but I don't want Jacob growing up on boxed dinners or things that always come out of the freezer. I've been trying new things on the weekends when I have more time to dabble in new recipes. We used our crockpot for the first time recently and that's another option for making a nicer meal on a tight schedule.

I would love to hear from all of you cooks out there on recipes you like and ones that make sense for a working mom!! Also any tips on how to make this family-style meal a reality would be much appreciated. I have made this my new year's resolution for 2009!!!!!

0 comments: