Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Jacob's (really our) mishaps

Poor Jacob has been through the ringer this past week. He is proving to be one tough guy when it comes to pain. I debated about even posting about this because I know this makes us look like uncaring and irresponsible parents, but we have learned how careful we need to be with him now that he is an active child.

The first incident occurred last Tuesday when Dan placed Jacob in a sitting position in the middle of our bed. He ran into the closet for a quick second and Jacob had managed to roll off of the bed in no time flat. We both heard a thud and quickly deduced what had happened. He cried hard for about 20 seconds and was over it. Although he seemed okay, I called the 24-hour nurse because I was getting ready to put him down for the night and was concerned about him sleeping if he had a concussion. She reassured me that he did not exhibit symptoms of a head injury, but that we should wake him up every two hours to make sure he was okay. She said that this happens more than you think, although this still doesn't excuse it! No more sitting on the bed for Jacob.

Second incident happened three nights later when we were sitting down for dinner. Jacob usually gets put in his booster seat, but I really wanted to hold him. I thought that my plate was far enough back out of his reach, but not so. Before I had even sat down with him, he had already managed to reach onto my plate and pull apart my baked fish filet. This time, his crying lasted awhile. I kept his hand under cold water for a few minutes until he calmed down. I knew that he didn't burn his hand, but it was the first time that he had felt something hot and it scared him.

Last incident happened last night when I was carrying him to bed. I ran his arm into the gate on our stairs pretty hard. It did leave a red spot that may bruise, but he fell back asleep pretty quickly after that. I am a natural clutz when going through doorways or turning corners and often run into things. Poor Jacob has gotten bumped into doorways now and then while carrying him and I need to pay closer attention!

I know that kids get hurt and fall down a lot, but it feels a lot worse when you are the one that was stupid enough to let it happen. It is so easy to judge other people when you hear stories about how their kids got hurt doing this or that, but now I won't judge as quick because now we are one of those "stupid" parents :(

0 comments: