Saturday, June 12, 2010

What we have been up to

Wow, this blog has sure gotten behind lately! I think about it daily and have lots of topics to write about, but never get to it. I usually write several blogs at one time and then space out their posting dates, but finding that chunk of time to write and upload picture has been hard. Life is good these days and below are little snippets of what we have been up to the last several weeks....

Potty training

Our little man is in the middle of potty training. He has been going on the potty randomly for the last two months and last weekend I decided it was time get more serious about it. We put him in underwear the first day to see how he would do and to teach him how it would feel if he had an accident. He peed every single time in the potty, with and without prompting. Pooping was another story. Let's just say that after cleaning up two of those accidents, we switched him to pull-ups for the second day. Amazingly, he still peed in the potty and even went poop in the potty once and earned a coloring book. I was anxious to see how he would do at school and he went on the potty all day long! So proud of him! It seems that pooping will be more of a learning process for him, but this is just the beginning and I think he is doing great.

Garage Sales

My addiction to garage sales continues. I have gone out a few times and took off last Friday to go. I'm still amazed at the deals you can find! It is such a high. I have gotten the kids clothes for fall and next summer, lots of shoes, snow boots, books, race car track, tee-ball set, coloring desk, bike trailer, bike helmets, and a step stool just in time for Jacob's potty training. I hope to get out more this summer to find more bargains.

We also had our own garage sale in May. We got rid of a lot of things lying around the house. No big baby items yet, just not ready to say we're done. If being a professional garage saler could earn me a good salary and benefits, I would quit my job to do it! Maybe it will be a retirement job. I love shopping sales and running them.

Playing Outside

We spend as much time outside as we can when we're home. The kids love it and I love being outside. Jacob is so much easier this year and can play pretty independently and doesn't run into the street like last year. He is also finally long enough to ride his new tricycles. I think that by the end of the summer, he will be really good at it. Bailey likes being outside too. As soon as we put sandals on, she heads to the patio door to go out. She is the one in the street this year. It makes me so nervous! You turn your head for a second and she takes off. We have taken the kids out in the bike trailer a few times now. I hope that we can do some longer rides this summer with them and maybe do a picnic lunch or something.

Visiting Family

We've visited family a couple of times this summer, once to Decatur and once to Lowpoint. We got to spend some time with Dan's older sister, her two girls (exact ages of Jacob and Bailey), his brother, and great-grandfather. I got some great pictures and will have to post them sometime.

Summer Plans

I have lots of plans for the summer, but don't know how much will actually happen. I have a conference in July in Minneapolis, so Dan will be riding solo with the kids for a few days. He also wants to take a trip up there to visit his family some time soon. We try and go to Chicago to visit Sharla each summer and go into Chicago. I'm hoping we can go sometime in July for a weekend when she's not working. I also would like to take a mini-trip with just the four of us somewhere relatively close, but Dan is resisting with the kids at the ages they are. I am just so desperate to get out of town and go on vacation! Other than that, my goal is to take off random days to take the kids to the pool and let them enjoy summer.

I'll make a point to work on pictures soon and post them. Hope everyone is enjoying your summer!!

0 comments: