Thursday, April 30, 2009

Big Boy Jacob

Jacob seems so grown up all of a sudden now that Bailey is here. He has officially moved into his new room! The past couple of weekends we have tested him out in his new bed during naps and he did great. He started out on just the mattress, then we added the box springs last weekend. It will be awhile before we add the bed frame because he needs to be able to climb in and out on his own and the frame would make the bed too tall for him to do so. We've added padding around the bed in case of a rollout and have the bed rails to add still. The problem with the bed rails is that we're afraid that if he gets out he won't be able to get back in his bed. Also that's further for him to fall if he decides to climb over them.

We haven't declared him sleeping in his bed a complete success yet because he seems to prefer the floor over the bed about 50 percent of the time. He'll go down in his bed, but when we check on him later, he is asleep on the floor in random places. Who knew that the floor would be more comfortable than a mattress?!! Hopefully he figures it all out and learns that the bed is the place for sleep!

I still have to paint the walls in his room (maybe next week) and then find things to decorate his walls with. I plan on having this done before I go back to work. It's been fun setting up his room and making the nursery all Bailey's. My dad gave me my doll bed and rocking chair from when I was a little girl and I plan on adding those to the nursery to make it more girl-friendly for her. I also bought a pink tub to put all the infant toys in for her. It seems like I just put those away after Jacob was done with them.... actually I did!!

Jacob got his first professional haircut this week. His hair has gotten a lot longer and beyond the scope of our ability to trim up. His hair looks SOOO much better!! I took him to Cookie Cutters and he sat for the girl like a champ. She put in an Elmo movie for him, but he was much more interested in the DVD cover. He threw a temper tantrum on the way out because he didn't want to give it back. This is his new thing. When this happens he refuses to walk and throws himself on the floor kicking and screaming. I had him in one arm and Bailey in the other. It's so exhausting at times with the two of them together. I'm trying not to avoid going places with the two of them, but it's definitely a challenge at times!!

Jacob's language is really developing. Communicating with him is getting easier and easier. It seems that he picks up a new word every day. He has mastered the "k" sound and now says words like "milk", "walk" and "thank you" so much better. We've been going for walks when the weather is nice and it is so neat to see him point to things and tell me what they are. He gets so excited when he sees birds or dogs. We can also ask him his likes and dislikes now and he responds with a "yes" (more like a nod yes and an "uh") or "no". We hear "no" A LOT!! We work with him a lot here at home, but I also give daycare a lot of credit for teaching him things.

0 comments: