Sunday, January 20, 2008

Eventful Week

Hi everyone --

It's been an eventful week here at the Engel house. Going back to work and starting Jacob in daycare went very well!! Jacob's teachers at his daycare said that he did great and he didn't cry much at all. Dropping him off for the first day was hard on me, especially after seeing one of the teachers pull him out of his car seat and hold him as I was getting ready to leave. Seeing someone else take care of him was difficult to watch and it finally hit me that I won't be his caregiver during the day anymore. I did cry, but not as much as I thought I would. On the otherhand, I LOVED going back to work. I think everyone expected that I would have a hard time with it, but it was great to be back in my office and work on adult things :) I took Jacob's picture before his first day at daycare and he decided to pose and smile for me. This picture is the first picture that I have gotten with him smiling. It turned out that his smile was not actually for me, but because he was leaving me a present in his diaper!!

One thing that I forgot to mention in my last post is that Dan started a new job inside Growmark on Wednesday. He is no longer working in accounting and has taken a job as a merchandising analyst. So far, he likes his job and feels like it is a great move for his career. I'm going to try and take Jacob there this week so his coworkers can finally meet him.

Jacob's two-month check-up with his pediatrician went smoothly. Jacob weighed 13 pounds 12 ounces and was 24 inches long. which puts him in the 88th percentile in weight and 53rd percentile in length. Who knew that we would have a big baby?!! He is healthy otherwise and doesn't need medicine for his acid reflux, although I am going to check back with the doctor tomorrow because he had a rough night last night. We think that he is potentially starting his first cold. It started last night as he was lying flat in his crib for half the night. Lots of coughing and choking. He's either draining from his cold or suffering from major acid reflux. His crib mattress is somewhat elevated to help his reflux, but it must not be enough. I put him back in his car seat halfway through the night and his coughing stopped. He is snorting now a little but his coughing is not bad at all. No temperature or anything, but his skin feels colder to me today for some reason and he is very sleepy. To help keep him warm, we put him in a thick sleeper which was a gift (thanks Amanda!) and we had to take a picutre because he looked too cute in it :)


We went to Decatur yesterday to celebrate a few family birthdays from this past week. I share a birthday with my grandma and my aunt from Indianapolis had her birthday two days before ours. I turned 30 on Monday and my office decided to give me a welcome-back present in the form of black balloons and decorations all over my office. I have been dreading this birthday for years, but it didn't phase me at all (thank goodness)!! Anyways, it was nice to see my family and spend time with them. Today, our church threw us a baby shower in between services and we got lots of diapers, clothes, and books. The church does this for first-time parents after the baby is born, which is a nice way to welcome the baby into the church. Since Jacob had such a rocky night, he slept through it all which made it nice for us. I was so worried that it would be too long of a morning for him.

This coming week is going to be fairly uneventful. No big plans or anything. I am hoping that Jacob's cold (if that's what it is) gets better and doesn't turn into something more serious. I know that I need to get over the fact that he'll get sick, but I think that the first time is somewhat scary because I don't know what to do for him and how to make him feel better. I can hear all of you other moms laughing at me because it is just a cold and life goes on :)

Hope everyone has a great week!!

Angela

1 comments:

Scott and Kristen said...

I'm glad the transition was smooth. Jacob looks adorable in all of his outfits! Dress up is so fun!