Friday, December 19, 2008

Learning to Communicate

This past month, Jacob has really developed communication skills with us. He points to everything and makes some verbal noise like he is trying to say what things are. I really think that he is understanding more and more of what we say to him, which is really fun. I ask him to bring me a book and he says "buh" and than goes over and grabs a book and then sits in my lap without me asking him to, which is so great! He also understands when we tell him it's time to eat or if he is ready for something to drink. When it is bath time, we tell him "it's time to take a bath" or "let's go upstairs" and he goes straight to the stairs and waits for us to let him through the gate. One night he even was ready before we were and walked over to the gate, shook it, walked back to us, and pointed back to the stairs like "c'mon mom and dad it's time for bath and bed!" His teacher at daycare told me today that when he is ready for his nap, he goes over to where his cubby is that holds his blanket and pacifier and points to it letting her know it's time to go down for a nap.

I know that he has a ways to go, but it is so exciting that we can now start explaining things to him in hopes that he understands what we're saying!

0 comments: